Provincial Nominee Program is an immigration pathway that allows Canadian provinces and territories to issue an Invitation to Apply (ITA) to skilled immigrants who have indicated interest to stay in a particular province or territory under the Express Entry program.
All provinces and territories in Canada have an immigration stream that aligns with the Express Entry program, with exception to Nunavut and Quebec.
Candidates who receive a nomination from a Province or Territory is entitled to an additional 600 Comprehensive Ranking Score (CRS). Criteria and eligibility requirement for the different provinces and territories differs.
An application under the Provincial Nominee Program has several benefits such as giving the applicant the option to choose their desired province or territory to settle in, and you do not require a job offer to apply for a Provincial Nominee Program.
Finding the right PNP that suits your immigration objective may be challenging as there are several provincial nominee programs in Canada. The following are a few popular PNP in Canada:
- (AINP) Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program: Under the Alberta Provincial Immigration Program, there are three other different immigration streams; The Alberta Express Entry Stream, the Alberta Opportunity Stream, and the Self-Employed Farmer Stream. Foreign professionals and skilled workers who have shown interest in residing in Alberta and having satisfied the eligibility requirements will receive a nomination from the province of Alberta to apply for permanent residency.
- British Columbia Provincial Nominee Program (BC PNP): This immigration pathway is subcategorized into three-stream; Express Entry British Columbia, Entrepreneur Immigration Streams, and Skills migration. Foreign professionals, skilled workers and international graduates with the relevant skills, work experience, and qualifications are targeted under this stream.
- Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program (MPNP): The Manitoba nomination program targets foreign professionals and skilled workers who will contribute positively to the economic growth of the province. Candidates receive nomination based on their skills, work experience, and educational qualifications.
- (NBPNP) New Brunswick Provincial Nominee Program: This immigration stream is designed to attract international graduates, entrepreneurs, and foreign skilled workers.
- Newfoundland and Labrador Provincial Nominee Program (NLPNP): This immigration stream is aimed at attracting Entrepreneurs, foreign skilled workers and international graduates who will improve the economic growth of Canada through their various skills and expertise. Nominations will be sent to candidates who satisfy the eligibility criteria to apply for Permanent residency in Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Nova Scotia Nominee Program (NSNP): The Nova Scotia nomination program has three subcategories of immigration stream that is aligned with the Express Entry targeting skilled workers, international graduates, and entrepreneurs who have demonstrated desire to reside in the province and satisfy the eligibility criteria.
- Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP): This immigration stream is aimed at augmenting the economic growth of Ontario and the labor market. Targeting specifically economic immigrants who have shown a desire to stay in the province.
- Prince Edward Island Provincial Nominee Program (PEI PNP): The PEI PNP is categorized into labor impact and Business impact. This immigration stream targets only skilled immigrants with economic benefits.
- Northwest Territories Nominee Program (NTNP): This immigration stream targets foreign workers and international graduates with the relevant skills, work experience, and education and who have demonstrated an intention to settle in the province.
How To Apply For A Provincial Nominee Program
Immigrants who are interested in Canada’s provincial nominee program can apply in two ways.
Applying Through Express Entry: Applicants can apply for PNP under the Express Entry program. To be eligible, applicants must register their profile in the Express Entry, where your profile will be accessed by different provinces and territories and points accorded based on the information on your profile. Candidates may receive an ITA if they satisfy the Province’s eligibility criteria.
Applying Directly To The Province: Each province and territory in Canada has a unique provincial nominee program where candidates can apply directly. Only candidates who satisfy the eligibility criteria will receive an Invitation to Apply for permanent residency.